Wednesday Field Trip, (yearly). July 22nd 2009.
Shoreham Beach, Shoreham by Sea, Sussex, England.
View looking inland across the Adur Estuary to Shoreham, on England’s South coast in Sussex. Fast demonstration pencil and watercolour sketches.
Followed by one to one guidance for each painter.
1. One minute line drawing in pencil for basic composition.
2. Three minute tonal sketch fixed lights and darks. The car sketch, (not in the scene), showed how to use simplified hatched tone.
3. Fast demonstration watercolour painting showed morning light pattern.
4. 10 minute painting. During the afternoon beautiful dense tones dominated – easy to paint. A fast sketch gets basics and provides a stable reference to paint a more detailed watercolour on site or at home later.
5. Joe’s demonstration painting.
6. The artist Jeff Hill
7. The artist Jill Hamlett
8. The group produced some great results.
Both experienced and inexperienced painters are shown here taking shelter from end of day rain in the Waterside Pub. When painters are given the encouragement and guidance they deserve they will often produce work which is way beyond their own expectation. I am here to encourage and build confidence. My field trips feature good views to paint, demonstration paintings done on site, one to one teaching and encouragement, loos nearby, somewhere dry and somewhere to eat.
On previous years the field trip has been at the Houghton Bridge near Amberley in Sussex.
Thanks to the Waterside pub at Shoreham for their hospitality and friendliness. The food was good too.
Joe Francis Dowden. July 2009.